I get a lot of emails from people who want to know how to make money online — like legit ways, not ways that have you creeping on your friends and family to get them to buy your stuff, then join your “downline.”
For me, I’ve made money online basically 3 ways:
- Working remotely as a full-time employee for a company
- Income from my blogs and websites (yes, I have more than one)
- Freelancing — as a writer, a virtual assistant (VA), proofreader, web designer, etc.
Not everyone’s cut out for all 3, but I bet anyone could make income from at least one of the ways above, even if you don’t think you can!
For instance, recently I got an email from Mark that said, “I don’t think I can make money online because I don’t have a blog, I’m not tech savvy, so what would anyone pay me for?”
Slow your roll, Mark! You don’t have to be tech savvy to make a living online any more than you have to be talented to become famous! (I’m looking at you, Kim Kardashian!)
I know I’ve talked a lot about starting a profitable blog, or freelance writing, but what I haven’t talked about much are some of the “less sexy” ways to make money online. The ways that aren’t as fun, and sometimes even boring as shit, but they still pay, some of them pretty well, considering!
Here’s a list of some of the more “unconventional” things I’ve done over the past several years to make money while traveling on my sailboat (and how much I got paid to do them!):
- Scrolled through Instagram to find fashion brands and add their website/contact info to a spreadsheet – $25/hr
- Set up 1-page “Domain for Sale” web pages using a template for a guy who flipped domain names – $25/page (a page took me less than an hour to set up)
- Typed up the handwritten pages of a manuscript from an erotic fiction writer who hated the computer – $15 per page
- Proofread recipes for a food blogger – $50/hr (this sounds easy, but was very detailed work!)
- Make a list of writers/reporters to reach out to that might be interested in writing about an app designed to help reduce the rate of texting and driving – $5 per name
- Screenshot testimonials from a Facebook group and upload them to Dropbox – $20/hr
- Set up an event calendar on an exclusive Scotch enthusiast membership club’s website – $25/hr + a really nice bottle of Scotch
So you see — a lot of the above “jobs” are things anyone can do! If you can perform a Google search, you can make money online, that’s what I say.
I look at it like losing weight. The key to weight loss isn’t some great big secret: Eat healthier + move more = weight loss.
It’s the same with working from home — wherever “home” is for you.
Add to your skillset + find jobs/tasks that require those skills = Make money from home.
If it sounds easy, it’s because at the heart of it, it is!
More and more companies are hiring virtual workers than ever because of the cost savings (no overhead, no office equipment, no office-related insurance, etc.) and more and more entrepreneurs are hiring virtual assistants to help them with the tasks that they don’t have time to do, or would rather not do.
Which is why, when my friend Caitlin announced that she was putting together a FREE virtual summit where she interviews experts who will teach you how to a) develop skills that people need and b) find online jobs that require those skills, I was like, GENIUS! I wish I had thought of it first!
So I’ve given you the formula. Now you just need to apply it, and the Work At Home Summit will show you how to do that.
I’ll be attending the summit online, too — there are several speakers I’m dying to see!
So let’s all “attend” together and learn ways to fatten the cruising kitty while we travel the world (or while we sit at home in yoga pants with a glass of wine)!
Get your FREE ticket to the Work At Home Summit now, then comment below to tell me what you most hope to learn from the speakers!